Re: Debate on Masters results

-----Original Message-----
From: JEREMY P WISE <jeremy.wise@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 27 May 1998 23:15
Subject: Re: Debate on Masters results

>I would suggest that it is accepted  that a band that plays all of the
>music together, in tune, with good soloists is better than one that has
>loose ensemble, poor tuning and poor soloists.

Agreed.  And don't forget good balance, too.

>This forms the outline of a basis for adjudication and in the event of two
>performances of equal technical and musical merit a personal preference for
>style or interpretation can be applied .

It seems a perfectly practical solution.  Perhaps someone should  suggest to
the powers-that-be that they might enshrine the idea in a rulebook, so that
contestants know where they stand.  Such a rulebook would, of course,
destroy the soul of the music, but contests aren't about 'the soul of
music' - they're about getting the right result.

>If this form of judging and result becomes the norm....

Becomes??!!   Contest results and adjudicators have attracted volleys of
criticism since the sport was invented, irrespective of the system used!

To conclude on a rare moment of agreement between us - I saw Geoff Brand
conduct at a Kenwood open air concert a couple of years ago, and he was a
rotten compere!

Best wishes

Alec