Re: Versatility and Doubling (was Vibrato)

Trond Otto Berg wrote:

> THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A ALL-ROUND EMBOCHURE!!!!!!!
> If you want a good sound, and want to play a whole day without sondung
like a
> "lazer-beam", you have to fine-tune and work on your embochure to fit
with your
> type of playing.  This means that you could never double on both cornet,
> trumpet, flgelhorn ++++, without  get a major influence on your
> sound-quality.  For a average amature this means also that there is
"back-row"
> embochure and a "front-row" enbochure also.

I don't entirely agree with this.  In our band there is a guy who was
playing down the front row when I joined (and had played principal cornet
not long before), he then played solo baritone for a year, then solo horn
for a year, a quick dabble on flugel, and since then he's been on 2nd
cornet.  He has been very successful on all of these instruments/positions,
to the high level B&R expect, and is still a great player.  Apparently he
also used to play sop years ago, and has also dabbled on bass !!  His
embouchure adjusted no problem.

Forget all this academic and theoretical rubbish, just get on and do it !!

> By the way, If you play in a brassband (in my opinion the most
interesting
> thing a brass-player can do) .........

You must have had a sheltered life then :-)

Martin.