RE: Vibrato

In the Message regarding "RE: Vibrato" dated 28 May 98, Kevin Petersen <Kevin.Pe=
tersen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> said that ...

> Doubles (even among brass players) are expected.  And every one of them
> must be tack-on perfect every time.  And, no, they didn't wait until
> they were fully grown adults to learn their doubles.  In short, the real
> world is not the same as the theoretical world of academia.

Have to agree with that - you don't double, often, you don't get the work!

Trond also wrote something about "why do you play the trumpet"? I don't
know what it's like ouside of the UK but there are no opportunities at all
where I live to make any money at all out of playing the cornet! Unless
you're Phil McCann of course!

I play the trumpet because I enjoy it! It gets me into musical worlds that
I would otherwise be a pure spectator in. I spent many years playing in a
big band on lead trumpet whilst at the same time being the Soprano for
Uckfield Concert Brass - I see , and adjudicators have agreed with this by
the comments they have made on my playing, no conflict whatsoever between
these activities.
I also encourage the members of the band to get involved in other things -
the end result is a band that has a much wider musical experience which in
my opinion, is a good thing!

- Theory is one thing, reality is another.

=A0=A0
Andy Wooler Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
Breweries, Sussex, UK MD The Classic Dance Band, Trumpet: Sussex Symphony
Orchestra andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk