Non-bands / French horns / vibrato.....

I just got hold of the LSO Brass CD of American music - fantastic! I've
heard a lot of top brass recordings, but this one must be the most
exciting, stylish AND superbly musical one in my book.

Trond, listen to this CD (as a start) and THEN tell us that the world is
dead outside brass bands.

French horn haters - I challenge you to not enjoy them here.

Vibrato...

Highlights -

Bernstein's West Side Story and it actually works! How many times to you
hear it played by a quintet or band and it sounds pants?

Ives - Variations on America. Fantastic joke on the (English) National
Anthem. So much life to the variations. Ives makes Carnival of Venice
look boring and tasteless.

Bernstein - Prelude Fugue and Riffs. Absolutely riproaring! Trumpets,
trombones, 6 saxes (inc. John Harle) + rhythm section and it really
kicks! (Hmmm, that's nearly a big band, but it's certainly modern
majorly jazzy classical music if that means anything!)

For those of you in London, I know LSO Brass are doing a concert of
similar stuff in the Autumn if anyone's interested. There is a website.

So there we go - 80p for a week's loan from Cambridge Library!

Happy listening,

Dave

PS And if you're still not persuaded, then they've got Jim Watson
playing down in the dumps at 5th trumpet...

--
David Read			     Queens' College
dtr20@xxxxxxxxx		      Cambridge CB3 9ET