Re: 1998 All England Masters

-----Original Message-----
From: Rod <rodg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 May 1998 22:11
Subject: RE: 1998 All England Masters

If it is purely a question of an opinion as
>to who is the best band why not pick the first three people to walk by the
>contest venue, offer them the fee and abide by their decision - it can't be
>any worse :-)

Why not indeed!  Except that if you asked members of the general public if
they would like to spend six or seven hours with two others in a small,
cramped box, with a packet of sandwiches, Thermos and a fire bucket,
listening to umpteen performances of the same piece of music, even for a
fee, I have an inkling that you may find that they feel they have better
things to do!

By the way, what is the going rate for a day's adjudication?

>They shouldn't need guidance or rules but if common sense doesn't prevail
>then perhaps they should be given some guide lines to work to in future.

Hmm.  It seems common sense to me that when a footballer kicks the ball into
the opposition's net it represents an advantage to his own side, and if he
kicks it out of the playing area, or fouls an opponent, it represents an
advantage to the opposition. But for some reason, the Football Association
have nevertheless felt the need to publish a book of rules....

Cheers

Alec