Re: Non-bands / French horns / vibrato.....

On Fri, 29 May 1998, David Read wrote:

> I just got hold of the LSO Brass CD of American music - fantastic! I've
> heard a lot of top brass recordings, but this one must be the most
> exciting, stylish AND superbly musical one in my book.
>
> Trond, listen to this CD (as a start) and THEN tell us that the world is
> dead outside brass bands.
>
> French horn haters - I challenge you to not enjoy them here.
>
> Vibrato...
>
> Highlights -
>
> Bernstein's West Side Story and it actually works! How many times to you
> hear it played by a quintet or band and it sounds pants?

There is actually a good version for brass band, arranged by Eric Crees
(who by an amazing coincidence arranged it for LSO brass too!)  This was
recorded on the 'Desford Colliery Dowty Band Showcase' which is generally
a top tape, I'd be happy to lend you mine sometime.

> Ives - Variations on America. Fantastic joke on the (English) National
> Anthem. So much life to the variations. Ives makes Carnival of Venice
> look boring and tasteless.

Isn't it?  D'oh!

'The Queen' is also the national anthem of Luxemburg, I think.  The
Americans sing some patriotic words to it and call it 'America'  I'm
pretty sure Ive's didn't mean it as a joke against the English....

> Bernstein - Prelude Fugue and Riffs. Absolutely riproaring! Trumpets,
> trombones, 6 saxes (inc. John Harle) + rhythm section and it really
> kicks! (Hmmm, that's nearly a big band, but it's certainly modern
> majorly jazzy classical music if that means anything!)
>
> For those of you in London, I know LSO Brass are doing a concert of
> similar stuff in the Autumn if anyone's interested. There is a website.

I don't think it's been updated for a while - I think it was just a
pointer to one concert.

> So there we go - 80p for a week's loan from Cambridge Library!
>
> Happy listening,
>
> Dave
>
> PS And if you're still not persuaded, then they've got Jim Watson
> playing down in the dumps at 5th trumpet...

This probably actually means 3nd trumpet once you've discounted picc and
sop.

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass