Re: Debate on Masters results

Alec Gallagher wrote:

> [...]

Or blend, dynamics, sound and style.

> >This forms the outline of a basis for adjudication and in the event of two
> >performances of equal technical and musical merit a personal preference for
> >style or interpretation can be applied .

Why is style or interpretation less valued than the soloists? Can you imagine
awarding the 'Holy Grail' to a band that had this and that together but played
the 6/8 march in the wrong style?   HHHmmmmmmm! This arguement is fast becoming
circular.

> It seems a perfectly practical solution.  Perhaps someone should  suggest to
> the powers-that-be that they might enshrine the idea in a rulebook, so that
> contestants know where they stand.  Such a rulebook would, of course,
> destroy the soul of the music, but contests aren't about 'the soul of
> music' - they're about getting the right result.

Yeah! But in whose opinion, and isn't this waht this discussion is about. LOL

> >If this form of judging and result becomes the norm....
>
> Becomes??!!   Contest results and adjudicators have attracted volleys of
> criticism since the sport was invented, irrespective of the system used!

TRUE!

> To conclude on a rare moment of agreement between us - I saw Geoff Brand
> conduct at a Kenwood open air concert a couple of years ago, and he was a
> rotten compere!

Hahahahahaha! Apples and pears?

--
Norm.
Music is my first love, after Jan and the billies.