Re: Debate on Masters results - Geoffrey Brand

----------

Norm Harris wrote:

> Have you met the man?

Yes, I first met him 27 years ago when he was appointed to conduct the
youth band of which I was a member. I have met and spoken to him on many
occasions since and seen him conduct and adjudicate. Some people hold
opinions which are open to  debate and discussion and the possibility of
change in the face of reasonable argument. Others are so totally convinced
of their own abilities to such a degree that they cannot or will not see
any opposing or contrary point of view. Draw your own conclusions.

If so, do you know him well enough to come to that
> conclusion?

I have not come to any conclusion, if you read my statement I said that "I
suspect" that he is one of them. In the words of my prosecution colleagues
" I have enough material to make a case but probably not enough to get a
conviction."

What do you know about him other than he doesn't conform to your
> values.

It's not my values that he doesn't conform to, it seems to be the values of
whatever adjudicators he judges with as this is one of many occasions on
which he has had a totally opposing view to his colleagues. I am not saying
he is right or wrong, but I am curious  as to why he so often has a
difference of opinion to the others.

I was not a participant at the contest and therefore have no complaint. I
would be very interested to know what it was about YBS's performance that
he took such a dislike to in the face of two respected musicians opinions
that they were the best. Conversely, I would like to know what in the
performances of Ransomes and Aveley, in the light of some fairly obvious
mistakes, was of such merit as to deserve 1st and 4th respectively. I am
not sure we will ever know.

Regards

Jeremy