Re: Non-bands / French horns / vibrato.....

Graham Young (905) 575-8440
Weston Silver Band, Symphony Hamilton
Celebration Brass, McMaster Chamber Orchestra
gyoung@xxxxxxxx

> > Ives - Variations on America. Fantastic joke on the (English) National
> > Anthem.
> 'The Queen' is also the national anthem of Luxemburg, I think.  The
> Americans sing some patriotic words to it and call it 'America'  I'm
> pretty sure Ive's didn't mean it as a joke against the English....

The words begin "My country 'tis of thee'
Most Americans would have no idea that
it refered to "God save the Queen" at all.
In a major Hollywood movie in the 40's called
"Drums Along the Mohawk" which concerns the
Revolutionary War the brave colonists defeat
the dastardly British and raise the new
American flag victoriously. The orchestra then
swells up with "My country 'tis of thee"
Which is absolutely hilarious OR the
best double entendre by a film composer.

> > PS And if you're still not persuaded, then they've got Jim Watson
> > playing down in the dumps at 5th trumpet...
This group doesn't seem to be the dumps?
It's better to be third cornet in a good band than principle cornet
in a bad one.
Could it be listed alphabetically?