Brass families

Adrian ;-) wrote:

>But a band that contained BOTH saxhorn brass AND orchestral brass
>WOULD be unique, more unique than any established brass ensemble. I
>may be wrong, but as far as I know, this has never yet been tried. It
>would be fun for arrangers and maybe some people might get to like
>the idea.

When I played in a brass choir called New Century Brass we did a
Gabrielli 3 choir piece sort of like that.  We used organ for one part
in the performance, with flugel, french horn (oops), eupho and tuba in
one group and trumpets, trombone and Bass Trombone in the other (i.e.
conical vs. cylindrical).  But for one of the rehearsals we had a 3
choirs, saxhorns: cornets, alto horn and bass saxhorn (the one thing
noone had at the time was a baritone, as cornet, alto, bari and bass
would have been just a bit better); cylinders: trumpet, alto trumpet,
trombone and Bass Trombone; and tubas: flugel, Wagner tuba (closer?),
eupho and tuba.  Really was an incredible sound.  Wish someone had
recorded that rehearsal...  Personally I consider french horn a
woodwind instrument.   <grin>

   John.Fisher@xxxxxxxxxx