Re: Brass families

In the Message regarding "Re: Brass families" dated 01 Jun 98, John Aren <tbbb@f=
reeway.net> said that ...

>The experimentation with other instruments is fine for certain
> groups but the majority of us are a part of the Brass Band movement because
> we love what it is, not what the newcomers think it could be.

It's obvious there are a number of viewpoints on this whole subject.
Not so sure they're all from "newcomers" though! I've been in the brass
band world for over 30 years now, I believe some of the other
correspondants probably have more "service" in than that.

Like most things in life, the BB world isn't perfect, we all have things
we wish to change or improve. The sound of bands has changed in the 30
years I've been playing, I would expect it to sound different again in
another 30 years time - it's called progress!

The day will no doubt come when someone feels the need to set up a band
playing on original instruments as used in the 60's & 70's - but I'll bet
it will only be one band.

In other areas, the music world has progressed - there sure as hell
weren't any contrabass clarinets or vibraphones around in montiverdi's
time!

=A0=A0
Andy Wooler Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
Breweries, Sussex, UK MD The Classic Dance Band, Trumpet: Sussex Symphony
Orchestra andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk