Re: Versatility and Doubling (was Vibrato) -Reply

Martin Taylor wrote
>The way I see it, professionals (and yes, I'm sure we would all seek to aspire
>to professional musical standards) do what they must to earn their bread, and
>I'm not qualified to offer them advice. The amateur's priorities are different,
>though, and he/she needs to think carefully before attempting something that may
>adversely affect their playing.
>
>Any (constructive) comments?

I think it might depend on the instruments they are doubling, for example, almost every full time trombone student i know has euphonium as their second instrument. Obviously some are better than others when they come to the second instrument. But yes this
 is probably rare when it comes to amateur players:- (Your son Dave is an exception to the rule)

Of course we have the odd exception with people like James Morrison, but usually (IMHO) you will not find someone doubling cornet and BBb Bass making a good sound on both of them.

>From my  own experience, i have doubled on euphonium in university wind bands,and while technically it is ok, you have the problem of range being limited in the upper register, although the more you practice the better it should get. As far as sound goes,
 you'll have to ask Dave as i spent most of the time blowing into his ear!

Cheers
Simon Loukes
Eb Bass Chalk Farm & Coventry City SA Bands
Lower Brass Warwick University Wind Orchestra