Re: Anthem - Queen of Australia

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Philip Anderton wrote:

> You may not know it, but HRH is also "Queen of Australia". Yep, thought
> you would be surprised. Protocol says that we only should play the first
> bit of this anthem ("God Save.." ). Apparently we are allowed to play the
> second bit only when HRH or her immediate relatives are in attendance. Last
> Anzac Day (war vets commemoration) as part of a ceremony at Dee Why beach
> we were supposed to play only the first bit at the start of proceedings,
> along with the Australian anthem, "Advance Australia Fair".  However the
> crowd of WWII vets decided to continue with the "Send Her Victorious"
> verse. It's not often they get a chance to sing this old favorite and, by
> crikey, they weren't going to miss this one. Of course it was the basses
> who led the way as the band straggled in to provide a dubious and
> unexpected continuation of the music into the forbidden verse.

	Just as a matter of interest, Her Majesty (sorry, Phil, not "HRH")
is also "Queen of Canada".  On the infrequent occasions when "God Save the
Queen" is played here, the whole piece is played.   I've never heard just
a portion of it played alone.  Indeed, I have occasionally heard it played
through twice, once for the English lyrics, the second time for the French
lyrics.