Re: Versatility and Doubling (was Vibrato) -Reply

On 01 Jun, Martin Taylor <M.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I, for instance, play BBb bass and couldn't usefully double on anything
> higher than 2nd baritone (though I could probably revert to folk guitar
> if required :-)): but a colleague happily hops between BBb and 3rd
> cornet (although, as he'd admit, not quite to the same standard).

Now that to me seems a whole lot more difficult than doubling trumpet,
flugel and cornet which are all pitched alike.

> At the same time, we've all heard orchestral euphonium parts played by a
> trombonist, and does it sound like a euphonium? Not for my money.

I agree that a brass band euphoniumist ought to be the prefered choice
over a trombone doubler for a symphony orchestra augmentation and this is
sometimes the case, but many brass band musicians just don't know how to
turn off the vibrato. The orchestra contractor would rather play on the
safe side and book a player he knows will have a tone and style which is
straight enough to fit into the symphony brass section.

Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/