Whit Friday

Hello all

Martin Irwin tells us he's out playing with Brighouse on Whit Friday.
I'm with Rothwell (Leeds) on fourth man down - do say hello.  Rumour
has it that most of the top bands are playing this year, so if anyone was
thinking of travelling up/down to Saddleworth to listen, it should be
a good year, unlike the last couple of times when it has clashed with
the Masters weekend.

For those outside the UK, on Whit Friday each year 20 or more villages
around Saddleworth and Tameside (Near Oldham, Manchester)  hold march
contests.  Bands of all abilities go to compete,  attempting to play
in a dozen or more villages, travelling by coach between venues.  The
contests run from around 6.00pm until around 11.00pm and, well, the
pubs are open: it is one of the best social events of the band year.  Bands
from Cornwall and sometimes the Channel Islands travel up to take
part and I hear that there might be bands from other Eurpean
countries this year.  If you're going for the first time I'd recommend
Dobcross, my favourite venue.

David