Re: Bass Trom article in the Daily Telegraph

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Alastair Wheeler wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Alec Gallagher wrote:
>
> > 1) "Sandwiched between two tenor trombones and a tuba, the bass has been its
> > section's underachiever.  Bass trombones were, until recently, failed tenor
> > players".
> >
> > (As they say, discuss).
>
> I could say I resemble that remark, but instead I'll say
>
> "Sandwiched between the tenor horns and the euphoniums, the baritones have
> been the bands underachievers.   Baritone players were, until recently,
> failed euphonium players"
>
> Again, discuss :)

Aren't you lucky I read this after I got home from band, Alastair??!?!
I for one actually always wanted to play baritone, after I graduated from
tenor horn.  Whilst on 2nd and especially in 4th section bands back home
(no offence Aber!) the parts can tend to the boring side, occasionally you
get _the_ most beautiful bit of harmony line imaginable!!!  Like singing
alto in a choir (and yes, I do....)  Personally I think that a well
written harmony line can be infinitely better that the melody, and at
times the melody is nothing without the harmony line.  Ok, yes, I have
played euph once or twice, when I'v ereally had no alternative, or the
band I was with needed a euph sound, and I did enjoy it, and enjoyed
getting a nice tone out of it - but believe me, I've found playing the
euph to be easier - it's a lot easier to get the high notes, for instance!
So all you saying Bari is the soft option, think again!  It isn't
always...... And off-beat parts can be difficult too!  I think that the
baritone is a very beatiful and highly underrated instrument, and I love
it to pieces.  Ok, I've had my ups and downs, but "odi et amo" - I hate
and I love.......
And yes, I know Ally just sent this to provoke me:-)
Love
Beth on the Beautiful Bari