Re: Versatility and Doubling (was Vibrato)

Until this week I would have agreed with the view that doubling does no
harm but I now think it may depend on the instruments involved.
I normally play a BBb bass in a brass band ( 2 evenings a week) and in
a wind band ( 1 evening)  although I switch to an EEb for marching if I
can manage to borrow one. I also play Clarinet every Sunday in my
church worship group.  This combination of instruments has never caused
me any problems even when I switch straight from one to another. Maybe
this is because the embouchure ( did I spell that right?) on clarinet
and bass is totally different.
Last week however, due to holidays, my brass band did not meet ,and the
wind band due to the absence of the regular conductor decided to have a
fun session playing Big Band music. I took along a clarinet intending
to play trumpet parts on it but found an old trumpet in the instrument
store when I got there and had a go on that. I struggled to get any
high notes but could just about manage the range for 2nd trumpet and
had great fun. I thought no more about it until brass band practise on
Monday this week ( I had intended to practise a home but somehow -)
This was the worst I have played for a very long time. My instrument
felt like it had an old sock or worse in it. I couldn't get any 4th
valve notes and was even having trouble with bottom G.  The problems
persisted though all of this practise and half of wind band practise
the following night.
Were my problems due to playing a trumpet on not playing bass at all
for over a week? I don't know but I think I will leave trumpets alone
in future.

Hilary Mateer
Hilary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx