National Finals test - piece

How refreshing to read that Philip Sparke has written this years
National Finals test piece entitled "Between the Moon and Mexico".
Philip is without doubt, in my view, the greatest composer for brass
band since Eric Ball. The time gap between Harmony Music and this new
work has been far too long, and in between times National Finals players
and audiences have been fed all kinds of grot. As a former member of the
Hendon band, I was fortunate to have played in three succesive Finals,
of which only "Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" warranted any kind of
commendation. Following that, Theme and Co-operation, and Songs for B.L.
will probably never be played again, although putting on a recording of
Songs for B.L. is guaranteed to remove any unwanted guests or upset your
neighbours.
The last 3 Finals pieces have been too "hymn-tuney" and sloppy, with the
influence of the SA too evident. SA music is fine, we played a lot of it
at Hendon and thoroughly enjoyed most of it, but I don't think the
inclusion of it into the Finals has proved appropriate.
I am sure that Philip's new work will gain immediate universal appeal,
and will return the movement to traditional brass band values. The music
will no doubt be incredibly hard to play, but great to rehearse and
listen to. It will surely not be confined to the furthest envelope in
the library in the years to come, as has been the case with most of the
Finals pieces since 1988.

Regards,

Kev.
--