Re: Whit Friday

David Lancaster wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Martin Irwin tells us he's out playing with Brighouse on Whit Friday.
> I'm with Rothwell (Leeds) on fourth man down - do say hello.  Rumour
> has it that most of the top bands are playing this year, so if anyone was

> thinking of travelling up/down to Saddleworth to listen, it should be
> a good year, unlike the last couple of times when it has clashed with
> the Masters weekend.
>
> For those outside the UK, on Whit Friday each year 20 or more villages
> around Saddleworth and Tameside (Near Oldham, Manchester)  hold march
> contests.  Bands of all abilities go to compete,  attempting to play
> in a dozen or more villages, travelling by coach between venues.  The
> contests run from around 6.00pm until around 11.00pm and, well, the
> pubs are open: it is one of the best social events of the band year.
Bands
> from Cornwall and sometimes the Channel Islands travel up to take
> part and I hear that there might be bands from other Eurpean
> countries this year.  If you're going for the first time I'd recommend
> Dobcross, my favourite venue.

As far as I know the contests actually start at around 4pm.  I would agree
with David that Dobcross is the best venue.  It is the best location, but
gets extremely crowded so get there early.  There are usually one or two
bands from outside the UK, there was one a couple of years ago from
somewhere in Eastern Europe (not strictly a brass band, but they had a good
time anyway).  Be warned that the police close a lot of the roads to
general traffic, with generally only local residents and band coaches
allowed through.  It is a good social event, unfortunately B&R aren't
allowed to drink until after the last note is played, but I'm sure we will
make up for it afterwards, celebrating winning again !!

Watch out for the little bastards who attack the bands with pea-shooters
(especially in Delph).

I'll watch out for you David.

Cheers,
Martin.