RE: Promotion is essential

Hi guys

we have a return slip on the bottom of our programme which offers free
tickets for the next concert as an incentive.  People fill out the form
with name address and phone number and add comments/suggestions.  The
slips are deposited in a mailbox on the way out.  This has given us a
large data base for mailing information and also it provides feedback on
our performance.

We are sponsered by our regional newspaper and get most of our
advertising for free. Also one of our bandsmen has an hour slot on
community readio and promotes the band that way.

Our audiences are getting bigger which suggests that we are doing
something right.  Hamilton, New Zealand is approx 100,000 (guess) people
and we manage to get 500-800 paying people to our concerts.

Promotion seems to work best by word of mouth and targetting an
audience.  Listening to feed back and adjusting the program to suit the
audience.  After we got a regular crowd then we started introducing more
serious brass band music into our programme.  Last concert we played the
forst movement from Phillip Sparks "Partita" and it was well recieved.

Themes seem to attract an audience.  We have tried to get a theme worked
into every concert.  Some examples are Colours of Brass,  American
Bandstand,  Dances,  Around the World with Brass.  The feedback we get
from this idea is really positive with the audience being able to test
the theme every time the next number comes up.  The compere ties the
theme together and we get away with some stretching of the idea with a
joke or two from him.  A good compere is worth his weight in gold.

How do other Bands conduct thier concerts??  How are the attendances?

Regards

Sergio Marshall

Waikato Times Hamilton Brass
Hamilton, New Zealand