RE: Anthem - Queen of Australia

> Re playing shortened versions of the National Anthem - my
> understanding is
> that the short version (1st half of it) is only played to
> accompany the
> loyal toast or as a royal salute when royalty are not present.

I've heard in the past that different members of the Royal Family are
actually officially entitled to different amounts of God save the Queen,
I believe the Queen is actually entitled to 2 full verses (what was
mentioned on the list earlier as a "2nd Verse" is actually the 2nd half
of the 1st, the 2nd starts: "Thy choicest gifts implore..."). However,
whilst almost everyone in the UK knows the words to the 1st verse, very
few know the words to the 2nd by heart, and if both are used, there's
always a subito piano at the beginning of the 2nd verse, acompanied by a
rustling of the programmes as people hunt for the words.

Nick.