Re: Promotion is essential - our next Concert.

Hi Phil,

> Newsletter? - Lets say we get 400 names from the next concert. The mail-out
> cost would be 0.40c x 400 = $160.00.  A regular newsletter on this basis
> would soon erode the concert proceeds, but its certainly worth a try, and
> if it meant more bums on seats in a bigger venue, t'would be worthwhile.

I don't know if the same concepts apply in Australia as here,
but our brass band is a non-profit organization, which entitles
us to a postal permit called "3rd class bulk mailing."  This is
very inexpensive ($.05 per piece, as opposed to $.32, which is
our first class rate).  To become a non-profit organization,
you have to satisfy some requirements in the eyes of the
government, one of which is that your members must be volunteers.
Once you get the non-profit status, other good things can follow:

1) you can be granted an exemption from having to file income
taxes (as an organization)

2) people who donate money to you can write it off on THEIR taxes
as a gift to a charity

3) you can get the bulk postal permit I mention above

Our group mails out a newsletter about three or four times a
year and we think it helps.  At least we know that our audience
members know we're still alive.

Best regards,

Connie Varner
Triangle Brass Band