Re: Stanley Black & His Arrangements

Steve Marcus writes:

>Since many, if not most of the Brass Band List subscribers are from the UK,
>you might be able to supply answers to the following query.
>
>Stanley Black was a conductor, arranger, and pianist who recorded many
>albums for London/Decca, particularly in the Phase 4 Stereo series.  Some
>were standard classical works with established orchestras, others were his
>own brilliant arrangements that he conducted with the so-called "London
>Festival Orchestra."  The producer of these recordings was Tony D'Amato.

As good as Mr. Black's arrangements were, I don't think they were any better
than those by Carmen Dragon, who, with the Hollywood Bowl SO, created some
fabulous albums for Capitol.  Phase4's distinctive multi-mono sound may have
made a perceivable difference, though.  I still go crazy over Bob Sharples'
band arrangements on Phase4, though.  I have been looking for CDs of America
on the March and Battle Stereo for years.  None of this will help you find
Black's charts, but good luck anyway.

Greg Bright
<glbright@xxxxxxxxxx>