Re: Stanley Black & His Arrangements

I agree with you Greg.  Carmen Dragon's arrangements for orchestra were
among the very best.  As well crafted as Stanley Black's arrangements were,
I prefered Carmen Dragon.  They were unique. Carmen Dragon's arrangements
can be rented from:

Dragon Music Company
Kathy Henn - Librarian (Carmen's Daughter)
28908 Grayfox Street
Malibu, California 90265
	     U.S.A.

I hope this is helpful.

Mark Freeh
(NYC)

----------
> From: Greg Bright <glbright@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Stanley Black & His Arrangements
> Date: Sunday, June 07, 1998 6:45 PM
>
> Steve Marcus writes:
>
> >Since many, if not most of the Brass Band List subscribers are from the
UK,
> >you might be able to supply answers to the following query.
> >
> >Stanley Black was a conductor, arranger, and pianist who recorded many
> >albums for London/Decca, particularly in the Phase 4 Stereo series.
Some
> >were standard classical works with established orchestras, others were
his
> >own brilliant arrangements that he conducted with the so-called "London
> >Festival Orchestra."  The producer of these recordings was Tony D'Amato.
>

> As good as Mr. Black's arrangements were, I don't think they were any
better
> than those by Carmen Dragon, who, with the Hollywood Bowl SO, created
some
> fabulous albums for Capitol.  Phase4's distinctive multi-mono sound may
have
> made a perceivable difference, though.  I still go crazy over Bob
Sharples'
> band arrangements on Phase4, though.  I have been looking for CDs of
America