NSW Central Coast Entertainment Contest

Last weekend we (Warringah) travelled the 160 kms North of Sydney to
Newcastle where we took part in the Annual Central Coast Band Competition.
This is always an enjoyable event, one which mixes formal contesting in the
morming with a lighter "entertainment" contest in the afternoon.

Ron, correct me if I am wrong (I do not have a program as I write) - there
were nine bands altogether, some concert, some brass. The brass bands were
drawn from different grades, and a handicap system was used to allow
competition between grades.

We were in the section for A-grade brass bands, along with the top local
band Waratah-Mayfield, directed by Ron Grice. We came in a solid second to
Waratah-Mayfield, but that's no embarrassment.To my ears they have the
finest sound of any brass band in Australia - more like the English bands
with full tone, great dynamics and expression. For the formal contest they
played Amazing Grace and Land of The Long White Cloud (Sparke). We played
The Recessional and English Heritage (Lloyd) - much better than in teh
Nationals.

The entertainment was most enjoyable (even the concert bands, Norm :-) ).
How they expect to get a balanced sound with 6 trumpets, 12 clarinets, 4
trombones, 2 euphos and ONE bass beats me, but the University of Newcastle
concert band sounded not too bad at all. I noticed that the arrangements
avoided much tutti playing of the woodwinds - good move!

 Waratah-Mayfield's selection was dazzling and very professional, featuring
"big band" type arragements.
For our entertainment we played, amongst others,  a medley of TV themes,
Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Kerry Packer played Carnival of Venice,
arranged for tenor horn, on his Eb Bass - faultlessley as usual.

The day belonged to Waratah-Mayfield. The Town Hall was pretty full, and
even the local music critic admitted that he should spend more quality time
following the local bands - comparing the music most favorably with local
ensembles and choirs.

I can recommend the "entertainment contest" structure for a more relaxed
and enjoyable contest. We had a ball.

Phil Anderton
Warrringah Concert Brass.

Philip Anderton			Phone: +61 2 9316 8301
Warringah Concert Brass
Sydney, Australia

Web: http://www.optom.unsw.edu.au/public/other/wcb.htm
Old photos: http://www.optom.unsw.edu.au/public/bbhistory/bbh.htm