Re: Anthem - Queen of Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Grice <ronhg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08 June 1998 05:35
Subject: Re: Anthem - Queen of Australia

>----------
>> Subject: Re: Anthem - Queen of Australia
>> Date: 05 June 1998 22:34
>>
>> Ron Grice wrote
>>

>And are you also trying to say that God save the Queen is not the National
>Anthem of G.B.( like we use the Star Spangled Banner for the U.S.A.) ,I
>don't think pedantic is the right word either.
>
>Ron G
>North of the Border.

A tedious pedant writes:  actually, God Save the Queen is NOT the National
Anthem of
Great Britain - it's actually the anthem of the United Kingdom.  Great
Britain (or the British Isles) includes Eire (Southern Ireland) which has a
tune all of its own (not to mention a parliament, constitution etc) - the
UK, on the other hand, comprises England, Wales, Scotland (for the moment
anyway) and Northern Ireland.  Don't worry, it's a very common error!

Yours factually (and extremely boringly)

Alec (an Englishman and definitely NOT a European)

Alec Gallagher
alec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx