Re: Debate on Masters results

-----Original Message-----
From: CRAIG BENNETT <CraigBennett1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: INTERNET:brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 09 June 1998 00:30
Subject: Re: Debate on Masters results

>mulling over the concept of asking the adjudicator (assuming one knows who
>he/she/they are beforehand) what they will be looking for in the winning
>performance.

>I can't really see the point in this.

To improve your chances of winning the contest, of course!

>If all bands did it...

The operative word here being 'if'... I suspect that many bands wouldn't
ask, because to do so could deprive them of one of the main excuses often
cited by losing bands to explain their failure to win!

> you could have 22 performances very similar in interpretation thereby
taking away the >conductors 'flair'.

Craig Bennett.

The point of contests is not to provide a platform for conductors to
demonstrate their flair.  They can do that any old time.  The point of
contests is to win.  That is what a contest is, be it brass band, chess or
tug-of-war.  I say this not in defence of brass band contests - merely as a
statement of fact.

Best wishes

Alec