Re: Songs for BL (was National Test Piece)

In the Message regarding "Re: Songs for BL (was National Test Piece)"
dated 10 Jun 98, Alec Gallagher  <alec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said that

> Likewise with Edrich
> Siebert - his arrangements aren't particularly inspiring, in my opinion, but
> it's not 'junk' - plenty of bands still play his pieces.  There is no such
> thing as good or bad music - only music you like or music you don't like, to
> whatever degree.

However, there are good and band arrangements - imho, edrich siebert did
nothing to enhance the brass band movement - Exhibit one: Black and White
Minstrels selection No 1. (and No 2, Singalong-a-Max etc etc).
No wonder he changed his name!

> Inevitably, the more challenging examples of contemporary music require a
> greater degree of concentration from the listener, and for some, even most,
> people, it is easier to discard it as 'junk' rather than make the effort to
> apply their mind to it and try to understand and, yes, even enjoy it.  For
> those who do make the effort, however, a whole new world of sound opens up.
> It isn't as if this type of music is new - Schoenberg, Webern and all that
> crowd were doing far more radical things eighty-odd years ago.  But sadly
> such activities impinged little upon the
> conservative world of bands. Closed ears, closed minds - the important thing
> was the contest!

Now you've redeemed yourself! - Exhibit 2: Chromascope, still
mis-understood years later.

This memo was probably the first and last time though that the names
of Edrich Siebert & Scoenberg were mentioned in the same breath!

=A0
Andy Wooler Resident Conductor, Uckfield Concert Brass
Breweries, Sussex, UK MD The Classic Dance Band, Trumpet: Sussex Symphony
Orchestra andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx , http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk