Re: Aw jees Norm...

Philip Anderton wrote:

> Norm Harris wrote:
>
> > he 'confessed' he also played in a concert band, his son plays the black
> squeeky
> >thing, and they both enjoyed it.
> Aw jees Norm, that's not fair... OK so I sometimes play "4th trombone" in a
> concert band.

Like being a little bit pregnant Phil???? <*~))))

> I wonder if the reason for having one tuba is a kind of "Conservatorium"
> reflex: "there is only one tuba in an orchestra, so that's the right number
> to have in a concert band.

Gee mate, dunno who you've been listening to but that ain't right.

> Unfortunately, with only a bass clarinet, a bassoon and one tuba against 4
> troms, 2 euphos, 6 trumpets and a multitude of woodwinds.. this leaves it
> all a bit thin and "shreiky" IMHO.

That may be the band you play in mate, but though the line up can vary according
to score requirements, basically they use 2-3 tubas, plus they have bari sax and
and, more often than not, string bass. It's like me baseing my judgement on BB's
'cos the local one has only 5 cornets, 1 t'horn, 1 euph, 2 troms and 1 tuba and no
percussion. Get my drift????

> As for being hypocritical... Now Norm how could you accuse me of that when
> you yourself admitted over the 19th beer to beginning your musical career
> playing soprano cornet in a brass band!

Not entirely true. Started on Bb cornet then went to sop after i joined the army.
Besides, i don't even remember the 19th beer. LOL

> Maybe that's where your "statospheric" technique began - playing those high C's
> on a good old soprano cornet in a good old brass band.

Probably, and probably 'cos no-one told me i couldn't do it. LOL

> Maybe I need to come down and hear the Met. transport band to be further
> enlightened. When is your next concert?

Mate! They aren't my band. I only conducted them for the month prior to, and on,
the Thailand trip. Shees! you were Mozart and Liszt.

--
Norm.
Music is my first love, after Jan and the billies.