Edrich Siebert (was Songs for BL)

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Andy Wooler wrote:

> However, there are good and band arrangements - imho, edrich siebert did
> nothing to enhance the brass band movement - Exhibit one: Black and White
> Minstrels selection No 1. (and No 2, Singalong-a-Max etc etc).
> No wonder he changed his name!

These may not have been progressive works for band, but they were never
intended to be. They were not written as test-pieces for band contests;
they were written to entertain Jo Public and Little Johnny. In that
regard, Edrich Siebert got it right - how many bandroom libraries up and
down the country do not have a copy of the Black and White Minstrels
Selection?!

Granted, the arrangements are not very inspired. They didn't need to be.
The majority of bands (particularly in the lower sections) have to
entertain audiences to keep afloat. Audiences in the time of Edrich
Siebert wanted to hear "I'm forever blowing bubbles" etc. and that is
what he gave them.

Regards,

Cameron

--