Re: Songs for BL (was National Test Piece)

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter <monkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 June 1998 09:53
Subject: Re: Songs for BL (was National Test Piece)

>...if such 'music' requires such intent research - is it 'real
>music?'

I wasn't really talking about 'intent research' - more of simply relaxing in
a comfy armchair with a beer, closing your eyes and letting the music
permeate your consciousness.  Blimey!  I've just read that bit back -
pompous or what?!!

The word music to me should be about conveying emotions.

Hmm.  So do you discard the likes of Debussy & Ravel, the so-called
'impressionists', then?

As a music
>teacher I have done topics with kids that are based on listening to music
and
>discussing what kind of picture / scene is created in their minds. the idea
of
>Program Music if you are familiar.
>
>I nearly always find that the overall picture created by 30 kids can be put
in
>the same category - such as happy, sad, spring day etc........ the actual
>pictures described by individuals however will possibly be different. the
point
>being though that they all come under the same banner.

As a suggestion, why not play them the highly descriptive 'Grimethorpe Aria'
(Harrison Birtwistle) and see what pictures it conjures up for them.  Bleak
industrial landscape ought to feature, I would think.  Or, indeed,
Cloudcatcher Fells for contrast.  I climbed Grasmere at Easter to the sound
of the appropriate section of CCF thumping away in my head - it was just
audible over the wheezing and gasping!

Best wishes

Alec