Re: Musical snobbery (was Re: Songs for BL)

-----Original Message-----
From: D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx <D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 June 1998 18:07
Subject: Re: Musical snobbery (was Re: Songs for BL)

>Peter (Monkey) wrote:
>
>> D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I enjoy Grimethorpe Aria not because it is
>clever - it is a fairly straightforward statement in many respects -
>I simply enjoy the sounds.

As Sir Thomas Beecham said: 'The English may not like music, but they
absolutely love the noise it makes'.  Mind you, he also said 'brass bands
are all very well in their place - outdoors and several miles away'.

>Actually I perform 4'33" every year with my first year students!  It may
>not be everyone's cup of tea but at least it makes them ask the question
>for themselves: 'is this music and if not, why not?'  Sometimes it
>works really well!!!   ( And isn't it interesting that Eric Ball borrowed
>small sections of it to use in Resurgam...).

This is a quite disgraceful slur.  How could Ball have plagiarised Cage's
work when Resurgam was written in 1950, and 4'33" written in 1952?  Answer
that.

 > by his own admission BL was more of a personal statement.

Did we ever establish who or what the eponymous BL was?  Mr B L Zeebub,
perhaps?

Cheers

Alec