Re: Songs for BL (was National Test Piece)

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter <monkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12 June 1998 11:15
Subject: Re: Songs for BL (was National Test Piece)

>Alec Gallagher wrote:
>
>> ..........The word music to me should be about conveying emotions.
>>
>> Hmm.  So do you discard the likes of Debussy & Ravel, the so-called
>> 'impressionists', then?
>
>No - still emotion in there isn't there?

Erm, well, I'm not sure.  Someone with a better understanding of these
things can probably explain it better, but I was taught that the romantic
composers wrote what they felt, while the impressionists wrote what they
saw, heard etc.  And I'm not sure very much emotion went into the works of
the renaissance and baroque crowd, much of whose music was strictly
functional, to play in church, for their patron etc etc.  In other words,
I'm not at all sure that the last two categories mentioned were actually
attempting to convey emotion.

Best wishes

Alec