Re: Aw jees Norm & Adrian

Phil,
If  we started talking optometry and had our facts incorrect you would, no doubt, put
us on the right path. Please read on

Philip Anderton wrote:

>  In my admittedly limited experience there is only one tuba part for
> concert band (as opposed to two for brass band). I have not seen more than
> one voice in any tuba scores.

 The point here Phil is that wind bands have other voices in a similar, if not same,
register as the tuba, and are often used in concert with their families. These other
bass instruments also offer a greater variety of bottom end colour.

> I guess my point is that basses in brass
> bands seem to be much more integral to the scoring, especially in modern
> arrangements.

Of course, because all that is sounding is brass.

>  Norm, Adrian and other "wind ensemble" gurus - I am just a little paranoid
> , as a reaction to the rather ignorant and superior attitude of some
> concert band/orchestra/music Conservatorium types to brass bands.

Ignorant? Why do you say that mate.??? I'm sorry you think our attitude is superior.
Knowledge in that area, maybe. If you are saying we are superior because we seem to
know a little more than you on a particular topic, then that is your problem. If some
one is misinformed, we all, as music lovers and practitioners, have a responsibility
to correct the anomaly.  Heavens Phil, would you allow someone to play C (Bb pitch)
2nd valve. You'd want to correct it wouldn't you?

Mate, please don't take umbrage. We're not having a go at you or anybody. This forum
is about the exchange of knowledge and ideas.

--
Norm.
Music is my first love, after Jan and the billies.