Re: Musical snobbery (was Re: Songs for BL)

I've been following this thread with varying degrees of interest, but
this morning I got to thinking about some questions that have been with
me for quite a while. Not that I expect to get answers. If you get bored
rading this, trash the email and accept my apologies.

I've always believed that people without any musical education hear
things differently than those with training. Such as detecting inner
parts, or hearing counter melodies more (?) clearly, hearing the bass
lines, and so on. Maybe this is simply a matter of having experience in
listening for those things. Maybe the "untrained" hear it and can't
articulte to others what it is that they are hearing? I don't know.

In any case, I have an uncle who whistles in tune, creates melodies (and
lyrics) and can tell me if I don't play the "right" chord when I help
him write down the tunes. And he's very particular. So, what does he
hear? I don't know and he can't tell me.

And what about other musicians who have no "training", formal or
otherwise but create beautiful (subjective, I agree) music? Louis
Armstrong, for example. And what about self taught composers and
arrangers? And countless numbers of folk musicians? (I believe Gil Evans
is in the self taught category, although I'm not sure if he was
completely self taught). Gil's work, especially with Miles Davis, is the
stuff of legends IMHO. (If you haven't heard the Concierto de Aranjuez
(Rodrigo) by Miles and Gil on Sketches of Spain, give it a listen). And
innovative.

And why do "untrained" listeners get goosebumps at the National anthem
same as those who "know something" about music. Or why do we get
teary-eyed at poignant melodies? .. and is the melody poignant or do we
associate it with something poignant? I don't know. And we all know that
music in film can enhance, change, or destroy the "mood" intended by the
director. What is it about music that can evoke a wide range of emotions
in people who "can't read a note"? Is it in some way similar to an
illiterate person being moved to tears when listening to someone else
read a poem, but not being able to read it for themself? And of course
not being able to read the poem doesn't prevent them from creating
poetry. Same with painting, sculpture, and so on? (Not to limit this to
Art.) I don't know.

So just what is it that we hear? And why are prople without any sense of
pitch, or time, or any of the other musical attributes, moved
(emotionally) by music? I don't know.

And why does "music soothe the savage breast" or "hath charms to calm
the savage beast"  (not sure if these are the right quotes, but you get
the idea).

It seems that there is an accidental education in which the great
listening public (whoever they are) learn to accept (demand?) more and
more complex music, and they do so at differing rates and to differing
levels. (This doesn't explain the popularity of rock and roll IMHO). And
different individuals and groups "jump off" the "education train" at
different stations and stay there. And some continue the never ending
journey. I don't know.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sorry for the length ... but, as others have said, I get carried away!

Lloyd
Wanna-be composer and working at it!