Re: Musical snobbery (was Re: Songs for BL)

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Cameron had widened the discussion to include art and poetry in
> addition to music, and suggested that by studying something more
> we understand it less.

Not exactly! I said that it is *possible* to enjoy something without
understanding it fully; and that it is possible that too much knowledge
can get in the way. My butterfly analogy sums it up. It is not necessary
to understand how the insect cuticle reflects light to appreciate the
beauty of the butterfly.

> Why bring JC into it?  If I enjoy a piece of music I might go and
> look at a score to find out more about it.  Cameron says I'm being
> snobbish.  I say "no Cameron, knowing more adds to my enjoyment".

Well, I think the enjoyment gained from studying the score is a different
sort of enjoyment from the enjoyment gained from listening to the music
itself. Studying the score is analogous to studying the cuticle of a
butterfly - and there are many people who enjoy doing just that. However,
looking at the score satisfies an intellectual, scientific curiosity
rather than a musical one, in my opinion.

Regards,

Cameron

--
  Cameron Mabon (International Idiot)	   cmabon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx