Re: Musical snobbery (was Re: Songs for BL) now Spice Girls

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Steve Larwood wrote:

> At the risk of great ridicule (pah! I laugh in the face of ridicule!)
> from those more knowledgeable than myself, but while I agree with the
> popular sentiments about the Spice Girls in general expressed below, my
> young daughter has subjected me to both albums as a continuous barrage.
> I have reluctantly formed the opinion that some of their stuff musically
> is actually quite good.  But then listening to the various tracks, it is
> also likely that their management have paid a number of talented
> composers to write it for them, because the styles are all extremely
> different.  And full marks to the girlies/sound recordists for pulling
> it off credibly too.

Hmm.  Taking Spice up my life as an example, as it's on some 'ultimate
party album' that my sisters subject me to constantly [Well, at my parties
I put on testpieces, songs for BL for instance]  Listening to this I was
impressed by the pianist, doing Salsa type stuff.  Then I realised it
still sounded , because the rest of the rhythm section were just
playing straight 8 or 4 against it, no hint of style.

To change tack slightly, are the Spice Girls an example of 'Augenmusik'?

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass