Re: Aw jees Norm...

At 16:25 13/06/98 +0100, Alistair Wheeler wrote:
>Berlioz generally went mental, I think the Requiem uses 8 tubas playing
>from 2 parts (most of his other works are originally for opheclide, ie the
>Symphonie Fantastique)

No wonder I like his music so much. I hesitate to suggest that if Berlioz
and Tchaikovsky had had mature brass bands at their disposal they would
have chucked orchestras and composed mostly for brass bands :-).

 Of course the original score of Piotr Ilich Tchaikovsy's 1812 overture is
scored for band (Military OR Brass) and modified orchestra including
2cornets and 2Eb trumpets. How often is this favorite played with the
original scoring I wonder? Every year the Sydney Symphony Orchestra play
this piece in an open air Concert, but never with a band as Tchaikovsky
intended.

Phil

Philip Anderton		Ph:    +612 9385 4375
School of Optometry	Fax:   +612 93136243
University of NSW		Email: P.Anderton@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sydney 2052		Web:   http://www.optom.unsw.edu.au/
Australia		ISCEV 2000: http://www.iscev2000.unsw.edu.au/iscev2000.htm