Re: Aw jees Norm.& 1812..

Graham Young (905) 575-8440
Weston Silver Band, Symphony Hamilton
Celebration Brass, McMaster Chamber Orchestra
gyoung@xxxxxxxx

> No wonder I like his music so much. I hesitate to suggest that if Berlioz
> and Tchaikovsky had had mature brass bands at their disposal they would
> have chucked orchestras and composed mostly for brass bands :-).
>
>  Of course the original score of Piotr Ilich Tchaikovsy's 1812 overture
is
> scored for band (Military OR Brass) and modified orchestra including
> 2cornets and 2Eb trumpets. How often is this favorite played with the
> original scoring I wonder? Every year the Sydney Symphony Orchestra play
> this piece in an open air Concert, but never with a band as Tchaikovsky
> intended.
About 8 years ago the Weston Silver Band shared a concert with
the Georgian Bay Symphony Orchestra and we finished the concert with 1812

Correct or not the bands Euphs and baritones played the opening chorale.
The whole band joined  as indicated in the score. Lots of fun.

The orchestra was pretty much a community group.
It is a good way to expose the classical audience to a brass band