Re: Musical snobbery (was Re: Songs for BL)

Cameron Mabon wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 1998 D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Cameron had widened the discussion to include art and poetry in
> > addition to music, and suggested that by studying something more
> > we understand it less.
>
> Not exactly! I said that it is *possible* to enjoy something without
> understanding it fully;

Agreed.

>  and that it is possible that too much knowledge
> can get in the way.

Not agreed!  (At least where music is concerned)

...snip...

> Well, I think the enjoyment gained from studying the score is a different
> sort of enjoyment from the enjoyment gained from listening to the music
> itself. Studying the score is analogous to studying the cuticle of a
> butterfly - and there are many people who enjoy doing just that. However,
> looking at the score satisfies an intellectual, scientific curiosity
> rather than a musical one, in my opinion.

I can't separate the intellectual from the emotional quite so
scientifically as you do.  Listening to a piece of music, or looking
at the score, or hearing it and following the score are (for me) aspects of
the same experience which ultimately enhance one another.

Unfortunaltely my cats (Tikka and Bhuna) have eaten all the butterflies in
my garden so I'll just have to accept what you say about cuticles
without reservation.

Cheers

David