Re: Re: Schilke / Kanstul

Isn't Kanstul a cheap Schilke?

This is only an opinion from a Sally who grew up in a band where the use of
edge was a sin.  Since those days I have spent  several years with the
Illinois Brass Band and developed a keen appreciation for the fff   of both
Desford and Grimethorpe.  From that paradigm I offer this opinion:

Schilke is a Chicago trumpet manufacturer who produces weapons of mass
destruction for those interested in putting to deaf all who might challenge
the brass section of a symphony orchestra.   Although he offers a serious
approach to custom mouthpieces and a good discussion regarding airflow
through the lead pipe, the use of his so-called cornets (both Eb and Bb) by
trumpet players in the brass band have changed the timbre of the band
completely.   Most every time I look toward a serious breech of ensemble I
will find in the hands of some sweaty, red-faced brass band convert such a
weapon.

A good medium ground primarily for the trumpet convert is the Yamaha.  My
favorite sounds are coming from the Yamaha / Wick combinations at the
moment.     Which of course gives raise to what might be the primary
challenge:  Getting the trumpet player (and theAmerican cornet player) to
consider a funnel cup seriously.

Now before you all jump...  I understand that a true cornet player can play
anything with a proper level of mutual respect for his bench mates.
Without that mentality well endowed in the player, the Schilke / Kanstul
militia are a dangerous lot!

And of course, this is just my opinion.

Harmoniously,
John Aren