Benefits of brass band arrangements (was1812..)

-----Original Message-----
From: gyoung <gyoung@xxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 June 1998 06:04
Subject: Re: Aw jees Norm.& 1812..

>Graham Young (905) 575-8440
>Weston Silver Band, Symphony Hamilton
>Celebration Brass, McMaster Chamber Orchestra
>gyoung@xxxxxxxx

>The orchestra was pretty much a community group.
>It is a good way to expose the classical audience to a brass band

And vice versa, classical transcriptions are a great way to introduce the
brass band listener and player to the classical repertoire, even if some of
the older transcriptions are pretty awful (Mozart with four tubas and
'drums' - you know the sort of thing).  A few years ago, I thought I would
broaden my horizons (ooo-er missus!) by listening to a bit of opera.  I
started off with something not too heavy - The Ring!!  After listening to
all 16-odd hours of it, I was amazed to discover that I was already familiar
with all the 'big tunes' from their brass band arrangements.  All the bits
in between were, I thought, rather turgid.

It all rather reminded me of Rossini's quote about Wagner - that he had
beautiful moments but awful quarter hours.

Cheers

Alec