Re: Musical snobbery (was Re: Songs for BL)

-----Original Message-----
From: D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx <D.LANCASTER@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 June 1998 22:50
Subject: Re: Musical snobbery (was Re: Songs for BL)

>> As Sir Thomas Beecham said: 'The English may not like music, but they
>> absolutely love the noise it makes'.  Mind you, he also said 'brass bands
>> are all very well in their place - outdoors and several miles away'.
>
>He said worse things about harpsichords!

Ah yes.   It [the harpsichord] sounds like two skeletons copulating on a
corrugated tin roof.

>>  How could Ball have plagiarised Cage's
>> work when Resurgam was written in 1950, and 4'33" written in 1952?
>>Answer  that.
>
>Well, John Cage believed in reincanation and Eric Ball was a
>spiritualist...  But seriously my clumsy attempt at irony must
>have sidestepped you and I apologise if it caused offence.

No, no, no! Your irony came over perfectly well to me, and was very funny to
boot, but obviously my attempt at reciprocation didn't come over!  This
medium of Email really can be most frustrating.  Nuances of the language get
lost.  You can't see people's faces and read their body language as they
type!  Seriously though: on the subject of music in general, we seem to have
much in common.

>The only musical BL I can think of is Brenda
>Lucas, pianist and widow of John Ogden, who was of course a fellow
>student of Elgar Howarth.

Sounds as good an explanation as any.

Best wishes

Alec