Re: Re: Schilke / Kanstul

Hi, John, everybody!

I would disagree somewhat with John's post.  I don't believe that it is so
much the horn that one is playing as much as it is the approach that one
takes to the music, and also to a large degree the mouthpiece choice.

As a Chicago orchestra-trained trumpet player (temporarily living in
California) I had to endure a period of adjustment when I joined the (then)
newly formed Illinois Brass Band (as did "me mates" I suppose! ;-) )  All
of us in the cornet section were trumpet players originally for the first
few years as we had no one with a Salvation Army background.  The result of
this was that after our first venture to the NABBA championships we were
declared "the best trumpet section in all of NABBA"!  This, despite the
fact that we were all playing cornets with "cornet" mouthpieces (mostly
Bach 'pieces).

After replacing our MD with an Englishman who actually knows something
about how a real brass band should sound, and acquiring a fine cornetist
who did grow up in the SA, we began to mellow out our sound.  Along with
this, we acquired a set of Besson Soveriegn cornets and Wick mouthpieces.
Those of us who already had good cornets continued to use them.  I obtained
a real cornet mouthpiece, (a Giardinelli 1V) and experimented with it and
the Bach style mouthpiece I had previously used.  The difference between
the two mouthpieces is tremendous!  I still see too many people in the
other bands using what amount to trumpet mouthpieces with cornet shanks.
No wonder they stilil sound like they are playing trumpet!   I feel certain
that if one replaced all of the American band's mouthpieces with Wick or
similar deep mouthpieces, we'd sound alot better, regardless of the actual
cornet being played.

We also learned to relax into the music.   One thing I have been fond of
saying (and my friends in the IBB will attest to this!) is:

"Any idiot can play loud, but it takes skill  to play soft. "

Once this lesson was learned, we found that we had developed a beautiful
cornet sound. (and proceeded to win championships as well!).  We have
played all sorts of cornets, but found that the two most important factors
in the tone quality are the approach of the player, and the choice of
mouthpiece.

BTW: I feel that my brass band experience improved my orchestral playing
tremendously  as well!

Just a few of my thoughts after reading this thread so far.

Guy Clark
principal cornet, Illinois Brass Band (on leave)
etc...

----------
> From: John Aren <tbbb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re:  Re: Schilke / Kanstul
> Date: Monday, June 15, 1998 1:50 AM
>
> Isn't Kanstul a cheap Schilke?
>
> This is only an opinion from a Sally who grew up in a band where the use
of
> edge was a sin.  Since those days I have spent  several years with the
> Illinois Brass Band and developed a keen appreciation for the fff   of
both
> Desford and Grimethorpe.  From that paradigm I offer this opinion:
>
> Schilke is a Chicago trumpet manufacturer who produces weapons of mass
> destruction for those interested in putting to deaf all who might
challenge
> the brass section of a symphony orchestra.   Although he offers a serious
> approach to custom mouthpieces and a good discussion regarding airflow
> through the lead pipe, the use of his so-called cornets (both Eb and Bb)
by