Re: Re: Schilke / Kanstul

Since Kanstul might not be a familiar name to all, I thought I would offer
a bit of background.  Zigmant (Ziggy) Kanstul has been involved in
musical instrument manufacturing for over 45 years.  He originally worked
for F.E. Olds.  In the late 50's he went to work for Benge.  In 1980 (I
think), King, who by then owned Benge, decided to move production from
California to the King factory in Ohio.  Kanstul established his own
business in the old Benge factory, with many of the Benge employees
staying on to work for him.  In 1984 Donald Benge joined Kanstul's
company.  They operated as Burbank Musical instruments for some years
before putting out instruments under the Kanstul name.  They also make
both complete instruments and parts for a number of other manufacturers,
including the revived "French" Besson trumpet.  A number of their
instruments are available with copper bells, and their copper-bell flugel
has become very popular among Los Angeles studio pros.

I don't know if they have a web site but you can e-mail them at
kanstulmus@xxxxxxxx

Regards,
Mike Solms
EEflat Bass, Scioto Valley Brass & Percussion
misolms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx