Re: Taking umbrage

Phil, based on this reply, i'm sure glad you didn't take umbrage. Further
comments inserted.

Philip Anderton wrote:

> Norm Harris wrote:
>
> >Mate, please don't take umbrage. We're not having a go at you or anybody.
> This forum
> >is about the exchange of knowledge and ideas.
> >

> No umbrage taken. I'm happy to ignore the myopia of most Conservtorium
> brass musicians and include top brass bands in my list of quality musicial
> ensembles.

That is your prerogative to include who and what you wish on your list. As for
most conservatorium brass musicians being myopic, i do believe you are treading
on very dangerous ground and exposing your flank.

> Its just that, despite having heard a few "A-grade" concert
> bands and wind ensembles of various construction, I'm yet to be impressed.

OK, not a problem. I'm willing to bet you probably don't have a real quality
wind ens. in your library, but got lots of English BB's.  At this point it's a
dietry problem. I'll endeavour to remedy that for you.  Send me your address
please mate, then watch the letter box.

> Which is the best "concert" band in Australia, Norm?

Purely subjective question, right now i don't know but up until 18 months ago
i'd have to say the RAAF Central Band.

> Next time they have a
> concert or are in a contest I will go along with an open mind hoping to be
> inspired.

Well, the RAAF band don't contest, but Elder Conservatorium did and beat all
comers for years, then there's City of Sydney and there's a beauty up in
Newcastle. No doubt it's bigger than the rest. ;~)))

> Phil.

Norm.
You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think.