Re: Re: Schilke / Kanstul/Wick/sovereign/Getzen

Hi all. Have been following this debate with interest. I get asked to judge
a few solo contests and often comment to young players on instruments and
mouthpieces. I cannot understand the point in having the biggest possible
bore in an instrument and then combining it with a shallow mouthpiece.

I like the sound of a Sovereign and Wick but it can get very soggy in the
wrong hands. I play a Getzen with a Wick 2 cornet m/p which gives me  depth
of sound and warmth whilst retaining a degree of brightness at times.
(although I am very unhappy with my ability and time to practise). If a
part is high or very stamina demanding I swap to a 2b whilst keeping the 2
on the stand for any slow solo passages.

 I was trained as a trumpet player and found a Bach great for accuracy and
intonation but the inner rim cut into my lip. The Wick is less easy to be
precise on but there is no comparison with the sound. There are very few
players that can get a really big fat cornet sound on a Bach m/p in my
experience.

What I would be very interested to know more about is how two people on
identical kit can sound so so different. Different yes but so so so
different?

Regards Jeremy