Re: Aw jees Norm...

On 17 Jun, Alastair Wheeler <alastair@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry Adrian, but these are almost all wrong, only the tenor and baritone
> horns are descended from the saxhorns.  The cornet, Flugelhorn, saxhorn
> and tuba families are all distinct, though there has been some
> interbreeding :)  In fact, I remember past posts from you pointing this
> out!

> > Sopranino saxhorn = Soprano Cornet
> > Soprano saxhorn = (Bb) Cornet (or alto)
> > Alto saxhorn = Tenor Horn
> > Tenor saxhorn = Baritone
> > Baritone saxhorn = Euphonium = Tenor Tuba (same pitch as the Baritone)
> > Bass Saxhorn = Eb Bass
> > Contrabass Saxhorn = BBb Bass

Admittedly, the last three are tubas, although they are all grouped
together in Forsyth's list in his "Orchestration" (pages 163-4 "Saxhorns
and Flugelhorns"). He classifies the first four as half tube instruments
and the last three as whole tube instruments. It would seem to me that the
first four (in bore relation) are all members of the same family, whether
they may be labelled cornets or saxhorns, despite the difference in
bell-forward or bell-up appearance, unless of course you know of any other
major differences. Forsyth is an old publication and I am no expert on
instrumental acoustics. To me a cornet is a saxhorn, a flugelhorn is a
tuba and a trombone is a "big trumpet" like its name suggests.

Cheers, Adrian

--
 /    \ _| (_)___   _____ ADRIAN DROVER
|__/\__\___|_\___/____)   http://www.gemscore.demon.co.uk/