Re: Geographic Breakdown

Hi,

A friend from another list has just commented to me that he can't
find any Brass Band CDs in the US - is he talking rot or do we really
starve them of culture?? ;-)

Looking down the recent postings I notice that this topic has brought
replies from some US members but only a very few.

So, what is the brass band situation in the US?

Is there a list of  bands somewhere (perhaps covering all known bands
around the world) if not should we try and compile one?

Do US bands make CDs?

Is the music played by US bands of a similar type and standard to
that in the UK? A player with and Australian band commented to me
recently that brass music over there all tended to be loud and raucus
and quiet melodic playing was almost unknown.

Fortunately, my friend did manage to see the 'Brassed Off' film and
purchase the soundtrack CD and so he has got something to remind him
of real culture but surely he could do better?

Ian,

p.s  he lives in Vermont.

Ian W. Wright
Bandmaster and Euphonium player of the Hathersage Silver Band, Derbyshire, England
see our web page at:- www.geocities.com/hollywood/6067/home.html