Re: Aw jees Norm...

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Adrian Drover wrote:

> > > Sopranino saxhorn = Soprano Cornet
> > > Soprano saxhorn = (Bb) Cornet (or alto)
> > > Alto saxhorn = Tenor Horn
> > > Tenor saxhorn = Baritone
> > > Baritone saxhorn = Euphonium = Tenor Tuba (same pitch as the Baritone)
> > > Bass Saxhorn = Eb Bass
> > > Contrabass Saxhorn = BBb Bass
>
> Admittedly, the last three are tubas, although they are all grouped
> together in Forsyth's list in his "Orchestration" (pages 163-4 "Saxhorns

That's my source as well, though I know it's a little long in the tooth.

> and Flugelhorns"). He classifies the first four as half tube instruments
> and the last three as whole tube instruments. It would seem to me that the

This always seems very artificial to me, anyone should be able to play
pedals.

> first four (in bore relation) are all members of the same family, whether
> they may be labelled cornets or saxhorns, despite the difference in
> bell-forward or bell-up appearance, unless of course you know of any other
> major differences. Forsyth is an old publication and I am no expert on
> instrumental acoustics. To me a cornet is a saxhorn, a flugelhorn is a
> tuba and a trombone is a "big trumpet" like its name suggests.

Going on the Berlioz Treatise (way back) his treatment of cornets suggests
otherwise - he mentions crooks for a cornet down to low C (certainly down
to Eb), but no overlap with any saxhorn family.

It doesn't help that the high saxhorns are now very rare, I've only heard
a Bb alto once.

Would you lead you band horn voicings with cornet??

--
  Alastair Wheeler
  Euphonium & Trombone				   Fundamental Brass